Sunday, July 4, 2010

chapter five; silver and gold.

"Stephanie Michelle Pratt, you better get your ass home instantly. I'm not going to tell you again" My mom yelled at me over the phone.
"And I'm not going to tell you again mom, I'm not coming home. I'm staying her with Jordan and Gabby. Gina and Christina are with me, and you can't convince their parents because they know their here and they are fine with it. I'm done living by your rules mom, I'm 17, I'm not a child anymore. It's time for me to make my own decisions and live my life, that I want to live." With that I hung up the phone. Jordan was standing at the end of my bed with his mouth open. He came over and hugged me.
"Good for you Steph"
"Thank Jordan" Taylor walked in to the room as Jordan was leaving and came and sat down on my bed with me.
"Ready for tonight?" I asked.
"Yeah, but I'm super nervous."
"You guys will do fine, win or loose everyone is going to realize how hard you worked for this and trust me it's been a battle just watching the tourney"
"I know, but the pressure of the country--"
"Taylor, focus. Your going to be fine, you do the best you can do." He pulled me closer to him and placed his lips with mine. I closed my eyes and took it all in. I was falling for him, I'd never met someone like him before. I felt as though he could finally be something positive in my life. He was bringing me back to who I was. He continued to kiss me until we both pulled back, begging for air. We both stood up as he laced his fingers with mine.
"I better go, Jordan's probably waiting"
"Okay, I'll see you after the game" With that I gave him one more quick kiss and he left. Gabby came back into the room from saying goodbye to Jordan. Gina, Christina, Gabby and I all got ready. We made our way down to the arena where we met up again with Ally. We took our seats and prepared ourselves for the biggest game at the moment. The World Juniors Gold Medal Game. Canada vs USA. It was going down, right before our eyes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taylor's POV
I sat on the bench hearing the crowd go silent, watching the Canadian fans stand there, speechless while the few American fans stood and cheered. The US team jumped off the bench while the Canadian team watched the celebrate. It was over, it has just ended in overtime. The US scored the winning goal, it felt like the world was over. The media filled on to the ice surface as they set up the red carpets for the medal presentations. We were the first to receive our medals. They were silver, not the colour we were all hoping for. After the Americans received their gold medals, the American anthem ran through the building making my ears ring. I was happy for them, we both fought a hard battle and in the end they came out on top. I made my way to the locker room with the rest of the team, but before I went into the room I saw Steph standing there. Tears formed in her eyes as she walked towards me. I still had all my equipment on but I managed to wrap my arms around her and she threw hers around me. Tears fell down both our eyes.
"Taylor" She said pulling back, putting her hands together with mine, "I'm so sorry."
"I am too" I said, looking down.
"You all did so well," She placed her hand on my chin and pulled my head up to look at her, "You did what you could, it's no gold but look how far you've come. Be proud" She smiled.
"You're right, it's just hard to grasp"
"I understand, but after a few days you guys will be fine" With that I pulled her into another hug and kiss her forehead. Even though we just met, she's been my support system throughout the tournament, thinking about it now, I don't know what I would have done without her.
"Steph.." It was Jordan. She let go of me and ran to him giving him a long hug. They made their way over towards me, Gabby came around the corner with Ally. Their eyes were red from crying. Gabby ran to Jordan's open arms and gave him a long kiss. Tears fell from both their eyes as Gabby gave him sympathy. Ally did the same with Alex, they've been together for 3 years and from what I knew, she's never missed a game of his. He talked about her all the time, next to hockey she was his life. In fact, she probably beat out hockey in his eyes. After I got changed, we all headed back to the hotel. We hung out in mine and Jordan's room watching movies and pigging out on popcorn. The thought of the game was still in my head. I felt Steph rest her head on my shoulder, the thought was gone. I kissed the top of her forehead and thought to myself: Even though we lost the game, I still won something that night. Her, she was still with me and she was no silver, she was gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment